Saturday, May 05, 2018

Veggie burgers with an unconventional topping

Veggie burgers with unconventional topping - cheese grits. 

So I mentioned before that when Doug was out of town I used to eat eggplant, something he didn't care for.  Now he likes it so I have veggie burgers.  I love these things!

Trouble was, I forgot we were out of conventional bread so I adapted by using a French loaf I'd baked earlier in the week.  I just toasted the bread and that came out well.  Then I discovered I was out of cheese.  Hmmmmmm.........obviously I did not plan well.

As luck would have it there was a container with leftover cheese grits.  Why not.

veg1

Just layer up the toppings I like, loads of tomato.  Oh yeah, we didn't have lettuce either.  We need to go grocery shopping!  the plus side is, it was economical and I cleaned out the fridge.

veg2

It's not often I am out of so many key ingredients for a dish but I have to say, once I am home, I don't like running back out unless it's absolutely necessary!  I missed linking up with Deb last Sunday but I wanted to be sure to join in for this week.  Hoping to have a more elegant offering next week :-)

I'm linking up my weird dinner with Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sunday series.  Click HERE to see Deb's Asparagus Soup with Herbed Goat Cheese.  Definitely a classier headliner :-)



  FullSizeRender (5)

6 comments:

  1. I haven't had a veggie burger in a while and now I'm craving one. I got the big eyes and lol'd when I saw you added cheese grits. But then I've made some really weird stuff before and it tasted good.

    You didn't say whether you like it or not, or did I miss that part?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your imagination is obviously quite active! But burger toppings are a challenge to everyone's creativity, and I've seen weirder!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki, I did like it! Since the grits had been in the fridge they were easily mashed into the burger. I would do it again, although I would have preferred a slice of Swiss or cheddar.

    Thanks, Mae! We live just far enough away from a grocery store that I wasn’t about to head out for bread and cheese. Poor planning on my part but I can adapt:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks pretty tasty. Great ingenuity! Do you have a favorite brand of veggie burger?

    Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like veggie burgers okay but I'm not sure I could handle the cheese grits topping! But then I'm not a big grits fan in the first place. It's funny that we have food for when our husbands are away. I'm the exact same way! Right now I'm on a chicken salad kick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think anything that tastes good to you will taste good on a burger. I hate when you are making something and realize you don't have all the ingredients. Good save on your part

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........